Richard Reynolds M.Div.,M.Ed.,Ed.S.

Richard Reynolds M.Div.,M.Ed.,Ed.S.
...making a difference one life at a time...

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Developing Good Content for your Presentations


Develop Good Content for Your Presentations
By Patricia Fripp, CSP, CPAE
Effective communication and award-winning presentations must containgreat content. Public speaking classes are full of public speaking tipson what to do with your hands, how to stand, and make eye contact.Important as all these techniques are you have to start with goodoriginal content.Let's look at where you develop your original content.In my presentation skills training I am frequently asked, "What on earthdo I speak about? Where do I find good examples?"This is my advice if your goal is to have effective businesspresentations...or are a professional speaker. The secret of developinggood content is simply this…you have to live an interesting life andtalk to interesting people.Make a list of all the people who have influenced you in your life.Lists are a great way to trigger your memory of what content to add toyour presentations.Make a list of every manager and boss you've worked for. Write down what you learned, even from a bad boss. A lousy boss canserve as a pitiful example. They teach us what not to do!A great boss example came when I was a 15-year-old shampoo girl at abeautiful salon in England and my first boss was Mr. Paul. I saw himtreat every woman who came into our salon like she was the only one inthe world.He treated the woman who worked as a waitress at the Carlton Hotel aswell as the rich little lady who lived in the penthouse at the CarltonHotel.When I was young I knew that was good service. It was nice to treatpeople well. Now that I'm older and in business, reflecting back Irealize lessons I learned that I wasn't experienced enough to understandat the time.As an experienced business person I realize that the waitress in theCarlton Hotel who talks to a somewhat affluent clientele of 150-200people a day, has a sphere of influence a lot greater than the richlittle lady who plays bridge every day with the same half dozen friends.That's a lesson and an example that goes into my customer servicespeech. I guarantee your lists will provide valuable lessons toillustrate important points for your business and professionalpresentations. Look at who influenced you and ask yourself what theytaught you and then how that played out in your life and career.Remember and record all your life turning points. The different jobs; the different schools; the different colleges; thedifferent seminars; who you met; when you fell in love with an idea, aprofession, or a cause. Look at the best advice that you have been givenand what happened as a result of taking it.As a hairstylist I spent 24 years behind a hairstyling chair. When I was15 working for Mr. Paul we had many rich, glamorous women as customers.As soon as I got to know them, I used to say, "What were you doing whenyou were my age? How did you make your money? Did you make it yourselfor did you marry it? If you made it yourself, how did you do it? If youmarried it, where did you meet him?"Good market research.My brother internationally acclaimed guitarist Robert Fripp is alwayssaying, "Sister, you ask people such personal questions!" During my overlapping careers behind a hairstyling chair and speaking at conferences,all the time asking questions nobody has ever said, "That's none of yourdamn business" because people love talking about themselves. This is agreat way to develop speech content and material.Develop daily habits.Every single day carry around a notepad, and reflect at the end of theday. Ask yourself, "What happened to me today that could one day be in aspeech or used as an example at a staff meeting?" If you had good or badcustomer service it's a story and example. Search your life for thestories that have a message. Even simple example can be very profound.Now you have some ideas to develop good, original content...why notwrite a speech?Need more help? How about...Fripp's upcoming Webinar and SpeakingSchools? - Fripp Presentation Skills Webinar September 4, 11:30 am-12:30 PSThttp://www.businessexpertwebinars.com/component/option,com_attend_events/task,view/id,291/afflink,bewpfripp040208- Fripp Seattle Area School November 6 & 7http://www.fripp.com/speakingschool.html- Robert Fripp Speaks...live and in personRedmond, LA & Phoenix, November 8-9-11

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you find my content interesting. Thanks for promoting the Presentation Skills Webinar. By the way the photo you have is with my brother Robert Fripp who is an internationally acclaimed guitarist of King Crimson.
Thanks...Patricia Fripp